Move-Away Contests

If you are going through a divorce or paternity case, you may not take your child outside the state of California without a written consent of the other parent or a court order. Moreover, your ability to move with your child to other cities is subject to the other parent’s visitation rights and parenting time schedule as set forth in your custody orders (if any).

Job transfers, a desire to be closer to family, better economic opportunities, and other circumstances sometimes warrant a relocation with the child to another part of the state, another state, or even another country. To do that, you will need the other parent’s written consent or a court order.

If you are considering filing a request for a move-away order or have been served with such a request by the other parent, please contact the Law Office of Matthew J. Jensen for a consultation.

Compassionate and Effective Legal Representation

The Law Office of Matthew J. Jensen serves clients throughout the Bay Area, including the cities of Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Los Altos, San Jose, Campbell, Cupertino, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Gilroy, Morgan Hill, Milpitas, Fremont, Hayward, Palo Alto, Atherton, Woodside, and Redwood City as well as Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, and Alameda County.